golbssenssateews

I could describe my blog, lla syas eman sti tub!

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Price? More like Priceless...

Due to overwhelming demand (as judged by the most comments I have ever received on a single post...beating the previous record of 2, thanks in part to certain obsessive-compulsive blog-reader-commenters), I have decided to continue with my montage of thrift store finds. Today I bring you this leisurely ensemble:




A few things of note:
1) Those are Levi's. Now there is a company that used to make some fantastic pants... I guess you would expect that from a company that pretty much invented pants. Before them, I guess everyone wore mumu's or nothing at all? From some forward thinking designer at Levi's (possibly the same who came up with a zippered fly, or as some people purportedly call them, fornication pants), came this work of art. This time, they made a defensive move to help protect their more wealthy customers... an anti-theft measure. You know you are in constant risk of losing your belongings to sneaky pick-pocketers don't you? Well, what better way to protect yourself from such scum than by sealing up those bad boys? Shear brilliance! Do they have a nobel prize for pants designers? They should.

There is however a minor drawback to this stroke of genius. Namely, the pants are so darn tight that even an "Authorized User" is not likely to be able to retrieve his own "goods" in under a minute, without the help of some scissors. The existence of this issue leads me to reject the "function" hypothesis in favor of the "form" theory of design... for who can deny that zippered pockets are chic?


2) The shirt is indeed a find. One good indicator of the level of awesomeness of a button up shirt is the lack of a top button, by design. Those who know awesomeness, know that awesomeness should rarely be coupled with discomfort. This shirt wasn't made for Sunday worship, unless you worship at the shrine of John Travolta, circa 1977. A style connoisseur can guess this shirt's brand. Joel it is. Cal-made it isn't. Or is it? One tag states Cal-made, and who would doubt that a fine shirt like this had its genesis in the golden state? But alas, another smaller tag states "Made in Hong Kong". Maybe just that tag was made in Hong Kong? Irregardless (my favorite (ex)non-word, which has apparently been made a word by common usage), this shirt defines ssenssateews! One day I hope to have the honor of thanking in person the man who must have died, leaving a closet full of polyester shirts to the Price, UT Deseret Industries thrift store. I wear a part of him nearly everywhere I go. I also want to thank him for maintaining a physique capable of scaffolding the same clothing that I personally sport.

3) Finally, at the request of one of my multitudinous (roughly 3) readers, I give you this:



Ask, and ye shall receive, brother. And if your lucky, it will be out of focus.

6 Comments:

At November 18, 2005 9:46 AM, Blogger Marc said...

You better be careful... I dare say you're might be kicking off a fashion revolution. If you heat up demand, then where will you be? You certainly won't be able to find any polyester shirts in Price anymore.

 
At November 18, 2005 9:59 AM, Blogger Kris said...

I'm with you Woo. Form over function all the way. Clothes need more extraneous zippers and superfluous buttons. Comfort is just and added, but unnecessary, bonus.

 
At November 19, 2005 5:02 PM, Blogger Maui said...

That buckle appears to be all that I hoped for and more.

 
At November 21, 2005 12:29 AM, Blogger s.lloyd said...

evetS, Good post. One Pres. W. would be proud of im sure. And im sure because im sending him the link.

 
At November 21, 2005 12:21 PM, Blogger woo said...

I have that face because cheltz (aka my photographer) said, models don't smile, you have to look mad.

 
At November 27, 2005 12:23 AM, Blogger melbo said...

I love your blog, Woo. Some of my favorite pieces are thrift store finds, and you can bet I'll be taking careful notes on your masterful ability to accessorize.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home