golbssenssateews

I could describe my blog, lla syas eman sti tub!

Friday, June 30, 2006

Watching the World Cup live for free in the US online using a Mac

Updated! Italy vs. Germany in Semi-finals!

Okay, I know it is already the quarterfinals, but I finally figured out how to watch the world cup for free, on the internet, using a mac. Thanks for the stream from espn360.com but no thanks to their moronic tech people for not supporting mac's in the first place.

Here is what you need:

get flip4mac installed (it is free, and better than the microsoft alternative (that is why M$ gave up on supporting mac's and just paid flip4mac to provide their plugin for free). Download the free version here.

Now, open quicktime, go to file->open url, and paste either
mms://live.espnevent.espn.com.edgestreams.net/reflector:58589
or
mms://live.espnevent.espn.com.edgestreams.net/reflector:59916

into the window. Hit ok.

Then, press the play button, wait for it to buffer, and enjoy!

As an added bonus, you can watch it in full screen if you want, which you can't do from the espn site.

Enjoy!

P.S. If the url's don't work, give me some time... they change for each game.

P.P.S. Unfortunately, they didn't show a couple of the recent games on ESPN360.com, so I was unable to get the link for that. I can't get the url for the stream, until (and unless) they play them on ESPN360.com. If there is a new game link up on there for the semi-finals game, let me know and I will get it and post it here. I am not sure how far in advance of the game it goes up.

5 Comments:

At July 01, 2006 10:39 AM, Blogger Kristján said...

Thanks for the tip! Do you have the port number for England-Portugal? It would be much appreciated :-)

 
At July 03, 2006 9:17 AM, Blogger The George said...

Hi, is there any way to find out what the urls will be for the semifinals?

 
At July 04, 2006 5:05 PM, Blogger Marc said...

The ticket to your popularity Woo among randoms... posting about the World Cup.

By the way... us Windows-ers didn't have to go to all that hassle to watch the Cup streamed. Just thought I'd rub it in.

 
At July 04, 2006 5:21 PM, Blogger woo said...

Yeah, go windows! I looked at the espn360.com screen on a windows pc... it was about the size of a postcard. I can watch it full screen now... sometimes being in the majority has its advantages... other times, it gives you a false sense of what's best...

remember before you used firefox?

 
At July 13, 2006 1:16 AM, Blogger syd said...

you watch sports? I didnt know, i guess we can bond next time we are both at my parents.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home